Proposition 30 relieves transfer student concerns

Before the passing of Proposition 30, California colleges were facing the stark reality of having to make cuts to classes and teachers with the possibility of already high tuition getting even higher.

Yearly tuition is nearing $13,000 for the University of California system and $6000 for the California State University system.

Tuition hikes have plagued the universities for years and caused students to adjust every school year in their decisions about which school to attend.

“Students need to consider all options,” said CRC Transfer Director David Aagaard. “And I think private schools are being considered more as an alternative when considering the costs of transferring.”

Aagaard added that the benefit of having two local schools, California State University, Sacramento and University of California, Davis, is that more students consider transferring locally to deal with the costs of four year schools.

Confidence in students transferring locally even with higher tuitions is not shared by all.

“If tuition goes down then yeah, they [transferring students] will probably stay here,” said 20-year-old undeclared major George Alveret. “That was probably part of the reason they were going elsewhere. It was going up every year ridiculously high.”

Kaitlyn Peck, 19, a microbiology major, said she felt that it was possible that she might consider going to a school in California after the passing of Proposition 30.

“I’ve already gone to Sac State,” Peck said. “I need to go to wherever suits my needs better.”

Peck also said that high tuitions were mostly likely a cause for students not going to school but that also it could be “because of what they want”.

Martha Aguilar, 19, a communications major, said she plans to attend St. Mary’s in Moraga, Calif. but had ideas if tuition kept rising.

“Somewhere close still like Oregon or Washington,” Aguilar said. “As I don’t want to be far from home.”

Proposition 30 will bring relief to some and help them decide on where they are going to school, in or out of state, but Aguilar wasn’t certain it would placate all.

“I do think some people will think it won’t last a good amount of time, and just give up and move to another state to get their education,” Aguilar said.

One immediate effect from Proposition 30 came in the form of CSU implementing a tuition fee contingency plan that will roll tuition fees back to the 2011-2012 level.

It is retroactive, meaning it will be effective for the current semester resulting in refunds for students depending upon how many units they enrolled in for the term.

Tuition roll backs and refunds at the CSU could be a welcome sign to many CRC students seeking transfer in coming semesters, but for some there is more to picking a school than the cost.

Choosing a school for transfer is a big choice and a family financial decision, as students need to consider the cost of transferring, Aagaard said.

“I think the economy has had an affect on a lot of students,” Aagaard said. “As it has been harder for students to afford the cost of transferring.”