Unemployment down, but not for students

Shafa Ilyas, Staff Writer

Summer marks the beginning of job searches for many college students in the country. Sacramento’s unemployment rate hit an all-time low in March 2014 at 6.7 percent, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics .

However, getting a job as a student has not gotten any easier. Student unemployment has reached 25.8 percent nationally last week, according to Businessweek. The national unemployment rate for people 60 and over is five percent.

There are many reasons for employers not wanting to hire young students.

“I think it was lack of experience. I did not have much to put on my resume,” said Victor Mendoaz, an 18-year-old business major

Over 192,000 jobs have opened up in March alone. Many private-sectors, construction and medical field jobs have opened up again since the recession, according to an article in Businessweek.

However, according to  the same article, many of those jobs are not hiring students, and if they are, they want those with experience under their belts.

“Usually, for a lot of retail jobs, they want someone with at least one year of experience,” said Cathalina Phayboun, a 21-year-old English major.

Getting at least one year of experience is hard for many college students, because they are looking for their first job.

Employers do not want to risk having a student who is not fully committed to work. A student not only has to dedicate his or her time to education, but also to working. Many businesses are not willing to take such a risk, they would rather have an employee who works 50 hours or more, according to Businessweek.

Another reason students are struggling to get jobs is the hit that the economy took a few years ago.

“This could be due to the way the economy is functioning right now,” said Anna Davtian, the student personnel assistant for the Cosumnes Rier College career center. “There were so many people that were laid off with a lot of experience, and match higher degrees. Now the students are competing for regular jobs with these people to be waiters, or working in restaurants, coffee shops.”

Many experts argue that students have high standards when it comes to looking for a job. There are many jobs in the food industry and local internships available, students do not apply for them.

“I do get a lot of job announcements from different companies, and the employers get back to me and ask why students are not applying for the positions. Some students are not really really looking,” Davtian said.