Campus president announces plan to retire at the end of the semester

Connection Archives

In her tenure as president, Deborah Travis has overseen many of the new construction projects on campus and has spoken at the dedications including for the Elk Grove Center.

Heather Kemp, Staff Writer

After serving the campus for more than five years, Cosumnes River College President Deborah Travis announced her plans to retire this December in an email to the campus faculty on Sept. 29.

Part of the Los Rios Community College District for more than 25 years, Travis said that she is grateful for the time she has had as president.

“Many of you know that I began my educational career with the Los Rios Community College District in 1989,” Travis said in the email.

“At the time, I could not imagine or envision the amazing professional and personal journey on which I was embarking. Now more than 25 years later, I am grateful for the opportunities and challenges I have experienced at CRC and in our district,” Travis said.

Travis started her time as president in June 2009.

Vice President of Student Services, Celia Esposito-Noy said that the campus will work to keep Travis’s legacy of student support strong after she retires.

“Dr. Travis has done an outstanding job of leading CRC for the past six years and while I will miss working with her, I know she will enjoy her retirement,” Esposito-Noy said in an email interview. “The culture of care for students that she has strengthened will continue even after she is retired. It will be incumbent on those who remain to continue caring for our students.”

Who will serve as president in the future hasn’t been determined yet.

Travis said in the email that CRC’s strong academic foundation, current stable fiscal environment and completion of major construction projects provided the opportune time for her to retire and for the campus to experience a transition in leadership.

“I’m so happy for President Travis. She has moved this college forward in new and innovative ways, constantly pushing us to be better in serving students,” said Communications and Public Information Officer Kristie West in an email interview. “I have very much enjoyed working for her and will miss her greatly.”