Hawks prepare for regional quarterfinal

Kayla Gangl

Sophomore forward Jaycob Velasco smiles as he grips a basketball at team practice on March 3. The Hawks are preparing for a quarterfinal matchup with Fresno City.

Stacey Marie Harris, Staff Writer

Head coach James Giacomazzi and the Cosumnes River College men’s basketball team took to the court Monday afternoon, in preparation for Wednesday’s Northern California Regional Quarterfinal against the Fresno City Rams.

The Hawks soared passed Lassen College Friday in a 88 – 69 victory, in what was an intense matchup with offense and defense showing up for both sides. But it was the Hawks who proved to be the better of the two.

The Hawks are ranked No. 7 in the Northern California Regional playoff bracket, while Fresno stands at No. 2.

The team worked out physically Monday and are in preparation mentally, as they approach the 24th hour until tip-off.

“I expect this to be a hard fought game,” said sophomore guard Rodney Cook.

Cook was the leading scorer in Friday’s game against Lassen, putting down 21 of the team’s 88 points.

Cook, out of Bethel High School in Vallejo, emphasized keeping the same routine before the game, as he, himself is a bit superstitious when it comes to preparing for the matchups.

“I put my left sock on first and my left shoe on first, and listen to the same songs before each game,” Cook said.

While Cook led the Hawks in double figures on Friday, it was the defense that stepped up as well, rebounding and creating turnovers, halting Lassen College going into the final stretch of the game.

Freshman David Straughter came off the bench on Friday working hard to shut down Lassen defensively.

Straughter also hustled to make plays at practice Monday, showcasing major potential and showing Giacomazzi he is ready for Wednesday.

“I plan to go out there and work hard,” Straughter said. “It’s basically win or go home!”

As for the outcome on Wednesday, we will have to wait and see just what will transpire, as the team gears up for the game that will, decide if they will continue on or go home.

Whether it’s superstition, experience or a combination of both, the Hawks, are prepared for anything.