CRC musician dreams of making a living in music

The plucking of a guitar string and the singing of a note has always struck a chord with Cosumnes River College student Jake Langstaff.

The 18-year-old music major is working his way into the Sacramento music scene and beyond.

“My absolute dream would be to make a living in music,” Langstaff said. “I can’t see myself being completely happy doing anything else with my life.”

Langstaff got into music and began writing songs at a very young age.

“They were probably not very good songs, but I was still writing them,” he said.

The musician credits his mom for his love of music.

“The first person who ever got me into music was actually my mom,” he added. “I went to her shows in her country band that she sang backup for and watched her sing at church. I just kind of always loved it and it came naturally to me.”

While Langstaff continues to study for his music degree at CRC, he has started to write songs for his own style of acoustic music. He hopes that he can play some solo live shows to gain experience and exposure.

“Though I have over the years done several live shows with different bands, I am hoping to start doing some solo shows with my acoustic music soon,” he said.

Langstaff wants to reach as many people as he can through his music.

“I hope it takes me to a place where I can encourage people with my music and give them hope,” he said. “I want the world to hear me.”

Updates on Langstaff’s progress and upcoming shows can be found on his Facebook page at “Jake Langstaff (Music).” To hear some of his music, visit youtube.com/user/Jakejakejakeeemusic.