Center aids student veterans on campus


Samuel Williams

The Veteran Resource Center, located in L-103, gives student veterans a space to acquire various types of resources. To qualify for services provided by the VRC, students must bring a DD-214 form to prove their years of service.

The Veterans Resource Center provides student veterans with the resources they need for transitioning to civilian life and college.

The VRC helps students with accessing educational benefits, completing the college enrollment process, registering for classes, food pantry support, printing and computer access, as well as emotional support, according to the VRC brochure.

“This gives them a place to be around other veterans and feel comfortable,” said Ken Walker, the VRC student personnel assistant.

Walker added that veteran students can receive help on how to manage assignments and homework and that the services are available for veterans only.  

“The Veteran Center being on campus is great,” said James Sealzitti, an 82-year-old undeclared major. “This veterans’ association should be open the same amount of time as the school is open.”

Walker said what makes the Veteran Center different from any program on campus is that it’s a shared space with the veterans who have gone through unique experiences that only veterans have gone through.

To be eligible for the VRC’s services, Walker said students must bring a form called DD-214, which proves their years of service.

Once the forms are turned in, the veterans will start navigating college processes with a staff member who understands the unique nature of the military experience, according to the VRC brochure.

Pong Lor, a 24-year-old kinesiology major, said that the VRC gives him a good place to study, adding that he uses his benefits from the military and to socialize with other veterans.

For more information on the VRC services, visit their office in L-103 or call 916- 691-7422.