Student will graduate with five associate degrees

Kainoa Nunez

Jared Lee’s performance in school not only gains the attention of his professors, but peers alike.

Most students enroll in college with the intention of focusing on one area of study. But at 19 years old, liberal arts major Jared Lee had completed over a dozen classes by the time many teenagers have commonly just started.

Lee has spent almost four years at Cosumnes River College and will be graduating with five associate degrees in Social Science, Film & Media Studies, Arts & Humanities, Communication & Writing and Social & Behavioral Sciences.

Lee wasn’t aiming to get degrees in so many areas, originally intending for one or two at most, he said But the benefits of homeschooling and extra work allowed Lee to begin college at the age of 15, giving him the opportunity to experience a variety of classes.

“I’ve spent longer [at CRC] than I did at high school,” Lee said.

Lee also said he owed a lot to homeschooling, which gave him the chance to work ahead and to work harder.

“[Homeschooling] requires a lot more time, a lot more effort, but I’d say it was worth it,” Lee said.

Despite not being a journalism major, his performance in the Mass Media and Society class made his professor take notice and convince him to work on the school newspaper for three semesters.

He started out as a sports writer before working his way up to the editor-in-chief position.

“When you’re part of the paper, especially being editor-in-chief, you learn a lot of things about what goes on on campus: who people are, who you need to watch out for… you find out all kinds of stuff that you never would’ve seen before,” said Lee.

Jannah Khalil, who worked with Lee for two semesters on The Connection, said, “He makes sure you are welcomed, like not just as a [colleague], but as a friend.”

Lee’s persona also stood out to professors as well, such as English professor Heather Hutcheson.

“He’s a model of where out-of-class activities compliment in class activities,” Hutcheson said.
Lee displayed his creative side in his Beginning Single Camera Production class, where his idea for a music video about a daydreaming hamburger became a class favorite.

“There were all these shots that would be typical in a ‘buddy’ film or romantic comedy – like laying on a blanket or looking at the clouds,” said Lauren Wagner, a professor for the Radio, Television and Film Production department. “He made the burger a character in the video and it was really funny to watch.”

As for what lies in Lee’s future, he was recently accepted to William Jessup University, located in Rocklin, and he plans to go there in the fall to study theology.

“I’ve done journalism, I’ve done film, I’ve done English, I’ve done all kinds of stuff…but theology was really the thing that stood out to me,” Lee said.

Lee offered other students some advice.

“Use your head,” he said. “Emotion is good: it’s good for being human, but it’s not a good way for thinking about your future. Use your head.”