‘Immortals’ sensational action makes up for poor acting and lackluster plot

Chosen by the Gods, Theseus (Henry Cavill) must save mankind from the bloodthirsty King Hyperion (Mickey Rourke) and his Heraklion army who have declared war on the Gods and all others who stand in their way.

Hyperion seeks the Bow of Epirus which would allow him to defeat the Gods of Olympus and become ruler of his world.

One of Hyperion’s raids left the protagonist’s mother dead, causing Theseus to exist only to hunt down and kill King Hyperion.

However, when he finds out the Gods exist and are looking upon him to save the world, he quickly takes on a greater duty.

The film delivers a compelling plot along with amazing action scenes.

When the swords clashed and the actors battled it out in slow-motion carnage, the film left you mesmerized. However, amidst the mayhem the film lacked originality.

With a mix of bad accents and poorly done cliche dialogue, the film left you scratching your head. At times the film seemed like it wanted to be like Zack Snyder’s “300” and at other times it resembled Louis Leterrier’s “Clash of the Titans.” However, the film failed to seperate itself from “300” and “Clash of the Titans” which gave it a copy-cat feel.

If movies could be judged in sections, “Immortals” would take the cake for best production when it came to action scenes. However, they are hampered by poor acting.

Though Rourke plays a convincing psychopath and murderous king, he does not do it with any flair or originality. “Immortals” shows your cliche villain who has no conscience and makes questionable decisions.

As for Cavill, he did his best playing Theseus under the circumstances. Greek mythology in its own right is very confusing, and Cavill does his best the portray Theseus in the myths.

Other than his bad accent, he delivers the chiseled bad boy who fights on his own terms that we’ve all come to expect.

In the battle scenes he is able to capture that courageous leader role that can motivate even the most cowardly soldier to stand up. All hats go off to Cavill for saving this film.

If you want blood, guts and gore, then “Immortals” is for you. However, if you are looking for a movie with substance, stay away from this film.

Though many critics were harsh on this film, it did deliver the over-the-top, death defying scenes that we were looking for.

“Immortals” won’t win any oscars, but it will keep you entertained for 110 minutes.