Men embrace the world of fashion

Tyler Holdener sports a cream sweater with maroon and navy blue detailing. He pairs it with a crisp white collared shirt underneath, blue jeans, and brown mocassin shoes. To complete the look he ties it atogether with a maroon bow tie and a winning smile.

Ariel Hevesi, Connection Staff

Watch out ladies, the sidekick on our shoulder, our purse full of valuables, is slowly but surely leaving our tight grip for the neanderthal man.

From snazzy scarves to the ever-so-popular man bag, it appears men have finally fallen victim to the world of fashion.

“It took them long enough!” said Tyler Holdener, an 18-year-old linguistics major at Cosumnes River College.

The second America watched Channing Tatum strut his stuff wearing fitted sweaters and classy scarves in the movie “The Vow,” it was all over.

“It is no longer considered effeminate or ‘gay’ for a man to take pride in looking well-groomed,” according to an article from the Daily Mail by Martha De Lacey.

From Hollywood stars to college students, it’s evident the term coined “metrosexual” is slowly but surely losing its meaning.

One glance around campus is all it takes.

Sporting a colorful sweater over a crisp button up collared shirt and maroon bow tie, Holdener defines his style as both “hipster and classy.”

Studying abroad in England inspired him to embrace the beauty of fads and style.

“Over there, it’s fashion or die,” Holdener said.

Coming from a small area in Lodi, Holdener said he sees a lot more diversity among men’s fashion at CRC.

“They’re getting there,” said 22-year-old electrical engineer major Ken Trinh. “There’s some people that still look like they dress like kids.”

However Trinh welcomes the world of fashion.

“I dig the beanie look,” Trinh said as he described his go-to places for new trends, including lookbook and Men’s General Quarterly magazine.

Although it’s a matter of personal preference, more people should go for it and take more risks with their style, Trinh said.

Even Professors have shifted their wardrobe to a more stylish and up to date collection.

Mathematics and Statistics Professor Matthew Rodrigues looked sharp and chic wearing a book bag and fitted jacket.

Rodrigues said he notices a pleasant change in his style over the years, progressing from those confused teenage years to the mature male.

“As I’ve gotten older I wear more fitted clothes,” Rodrigues said. It’s no longer the “kid skater look.”

“I think more men are starting to pay attention to what they wear,” Rodrigues said.

Although he sports a casual and classy look, he can’t quite claim all the credit.

“My girlfriend dresses me a lot,” Rodriguez chuckled.

Whether it’s help from women or tips from magazines, the secret of fashion is out, and men have jumped all over it.

It isn’t just a matter of throwing on clothes, it’s creating a unique sense of style that depicts something short of a novel.

“I’m classy but a little bit preppy,” said 19-year-old theater arts major Alexander Stallings. “It has a mixture of a bum with a college professor.”

His method of madness begins with a pair of shoes, which he then uses as inspiration for the rest of his outfit.

This morning Stallings decided to go with the khaki cargo pants, a crisp cream sweater and headphones.

“It’s a cross between a 1960’s jazz trumpet player” and a “crazed writer,” Stallings said.

At the end of the day, the outfit chosen creates a portal to their personality, a picture worth a thousand words.

“Fashion is a nice way to express yourself,” Holdener said.

From metro to macho, it’s both a matter of preference and a desire to dare.

“Most people judge a book by it’s cover, so might as well have a nice cover,” Holdener said.