• #CRCcampus: Want to share your photos and tweets with us? Use the hashtag #CRCcampus

Campus clubs gather to show their spirit

Mary Garcia

Students gather to cast their votes for the various clubs represented at the Club Activities Faire on March 19.

It appeared to be a miniature carnival on campus with people yelling, games being played and even a prize wheel, as six campus clubs participated in the Club Activities Faire on March 19, where building the spirit of Cosumnes River College was the theme.

Each club set up a booth in an effort to show their school spirit as well as to inform the students that stopped by their booth who they are and what their club does. Students were also invited to cast their vote for the club or clubs of their choice.

“The club that gets the most beans in their bucket wins their name engraved on this trophy and their club wins $250,” said 21-year-old Director of Finance for the Clubs and Event Board Jesse Thibodeaux.

The trophy is housed in the display case next to Library room 111.

The award has been given out since 2003, with previous winners including the Filipino Club “Kapatid”, the Black Student Union, the Early Childhood Education Club, Club Puente, the Student Senate and the Anime Club.

Some of the clubs were competing for the prize for specific reasons.

The Enactus Club was hoping to win so that they could donate the money to the Elk Grove Food Bank,” said 42-year-old club President and Chief Operating Officer Bill Salsbury.

“It would be awesome,” Salsbury said. “One dollar equals one pound of food so that’s 250 pounds of food that can service the homeless and struggling in Elk Grove.”

At least one student agreed with what Enactus is trying to do.

“I’m voting for Enactus, they’re helping people,” said 26-year-old human services major Tiarre Warren. “I want to help out the people that need food.”

Some of the clubs used the opportunity to raise funds.The CRC American Veterinary Technicians in Training Club was accepting donations for a raffle where you could win a gift basket for either a dog or cat, said 26-year-old club President Molly Reeves.

“The club raises funds for the little extras that make life better for [the animals],” Reeves said.

The Anime Club was also represented at one of the booths in an effort to get their club more recognition and possibly increasing their membership, said acting club President Phillip Webb.

Another club in attendance was the Gay Straight Alliance,who hoped to use the prize money to put towards their events or possibly a trip that would “build a sense of community among us,” said 21-year-old club Vice President and Secretary Kalaya Harvey.

The CRC Anthropology Club used the opportunity to raise funds for their club by selling a variety of goods, including jewelry and t-shirts. As with most of the groups, they had an idea about how they would use the prize money if they won.

“We’re just going to try and host more events like this around campus for students to come and check out what the Anthropology Club is about,” said 27-year-old Cristina Canty, club co-president.

At least one student thought it would be a good idea for others to know more about the subject.

“I think it is important for people to be able to have a better view on anthropology,” said 19-year-old business administration major Tony Garbarino.

The sixth club that participated was the CRC Kapatid. Kapatid, or the Filipino Club, was the winner of the event, said Associated Students of CRC President Christina Alvarado.

Their booth was set up with games that students could pay to play for the chance to win a gift card prize in an effort to raise funds for their club.

“We are basically raising funds for our future events,” said 20-year-old Paul Soriano, president of Kapatid. “We will probably go out of town and go kayaking near Nimbus Flat to get the group to have a stronger relationship with each other and for us to bond.”

Emily Collins, Former Staff

Emily was a returning student when she joined the newspaper in the spring of 2013, serving on the staff until the end of fall 2013. She took Journalism...

Mary Garcia, Former Staff

With two semesters served with the Connection, Mary was the multi-media editor for the newspaper, helping to expand the digital side of news for the...