• #CRCcampus: Want to share your photos and tweets with us? Use the hashtag #CRCcampus

Restaurant serves up great meals for fair price

Kabob and Gyro Grill, located on Laguna Blvd, serves a lamb platter consisting of thinly marinated slices of lamb over basmati rice, and served with a side of salad, hummus, tzatziki (cucumber sauce) and a hot piece of pita bread on Oct 24.

LaChandra Marzetta

LaChandra Marzetta

LaChandra Marzetta, Staff Writer

Looking for great and inexpensive Middle Eastern food with an American flair? Then Kabob and Gyro Grill is the place for you.

A quick 10 minutes from campus, this quaint restaurant offers meals from gyros and shawarmas to Philly cheese steaks and old fashioned burgers.

With menu items reasonably price this grill makes for a good lunchtime destination.

Walking into the restaurant, you will be greeted with the smell of fresh lamb being prepared and the friendly face of the owner, Sal Safi, and his two employees, Mom and Dad.

Three booths align on one wall and five tables covered with black and white table cloths fill the restaurant.

The family-owned business comes from the Bay Area and the owner is proud to say that within the last three years, four Kabob & Gyro Grills were successfully opened. With locations in Fremont, Lodi, Stockton and the newly opened Elk Grove location, things are looking great for them.

As you walk down the runway, you can view the menu that hangs from the ceiling.

They offer options such as mild, medium or hot on the lamb platter. Huh?  Safi could tell I was caught by surprise, this special preparation is only done here.

Getting excited?

As I sat down and took in the cozy atmosphere, a woman and her son walked in mentioning this was her third trip that week.  It was on Thursday.

Excited yet?

After a mere eight minutes, Safi delivered the most appetizing platter to my booth. With steam still coming from the marinated slices of lamb over basmati rice, I couldn’t wait to dig in. The platter also included sides of salad, hummus, tzatziki (cucumber sauce) and a hot piece of pita bread, all for under $8.

Are you familiar with Greek cuisine but don’t see it on the menu? The chefs here are willing to customize your meal.

I was an extremely happy camper. The food was delicious. The service was phenomenal. I wasn’t the only one who thought this as the place was bursting at the seams as the lunch hour began. It says a lot that they’ve only been here for four months and have a good customer base.

If you can’t already tell, I would definitely recommend this grill.