• #CRCcampus: Want to share your photos and tweets with us? Use the hashtag #CRCcampus

Fundraising event showcases student programs

Back to Article
Back to Article

Myles Taylor plays

Myles Taylor plays "Fantasia for Alto Saxophone" during the Performing Arts showcase portion of A Night with the Stars fundraiser event.

Arnoldo Fernandes

Arnoldo Fernandes

Arnoldo Fernandes

Staff and students came together on Saturday evening for Cosumnes River College Foundation’s fundraising event, “A Night with the Stars.”

The event was filled with student art, film and music complemented with food and drink by the Culinary Arts Management program.

“We had a blast, it was a lot of fun putting it together and a lot of fun actually doing it,” said music professor Omari Tau. “It’s so worth it to do the whole thing and to see it come to fruition and we’re thrilled about how well the students did and how well it was received.”

The event began with hors d’oeuvres and wine in the campus Art Gallery.

Campus Engagement Student Ambassador Jose Jacinto was invited by Academic State President Shannon Mills.

“I didn’t know it was going to be to this degree but, I’m here,” said Jacinto.“We do have a lot of sponsors here like Kaiser [and] SMUD and a lot of big name companies and organizations.”

Guests enjoyed art pieces from the exhibition  “Inspirational Encounters,” as well as food served by culinary students.

The Performing Arts Showcase followed in the Recital Hall, where students from different programs were set to perform.

A silent auction of photography and several baskets filled with assortments of wine, chocolate and even gardening tools, took place before the show.

The showcase started off with a rendition of “All That Jazz” performed by members of last semester’s musical “Chicago” cast.

Tau, master of ceremonies, introduced film and performances by music, dance and radio, television and film production students.

The event had several sponsors such as Nissan Mazda Infiniti Elk Grove, Comcast, SMUD and Pappas Investments. The fundraiser gathered contributions which will provide scholarships and mini-grants for students and faculty members.

A moment of silence took place during the showcase for Roy Herburger, a founding member of the CRC Foundation who passed away this year.

Herburger contributed to CRC in many ways such as assisting with high school newspaper productions and offered internships and scholarships to journalism students throughout the years

Tin Bui, a 19-year-old biochemistry major, was a soloist for the final song  “Oh Happy Day” performed by the gospel choir alongside other music department students.

“It was a huge privilege for me to sing in front of everyone in terms of choir and it was a huge honor to be representing the gospel choir,” said Bui. “I love seeing all the donors for our school here.”

A few of the silent auction winners were Dean of Technology Kim Harrell and Mills. Monetary donations were also contributed to textbook scholarships for students.

“The performances were amazing, the students did a fantastic job performing,” said Jacinto. “Overall, it was a great showcase of what CRC has to offer.”