Students and union members rally for jobs.

Over 150 students and union members gathered in front of the quad for a rally in support of the American Jobs Act on Oct. 27.History Professor and event host Jason Newman hosted the rally and called upon 11 community members to speak in support of local unions. Some members included professors and students from Cosumnes River College.“We’re here to try and send a message to congress that people are suffering in this economy,” Los Rios Colleges Federation of Teachers President Dean Murakami said. “People are losing their jobs and their houses and all the support services they need are eroding.”President Barack Obama’s American Jobs Act could potentially give California $13 billion to help put citizens back to work, according to  the events flyer.

The American Jobs Act will cut taxes for small businesses and give additional tax cuts to any businesses who hire new workers or increase wages of current workers, according to whitehouse.gov. The bill will also close corporate loopholes and ask the wealthiest Americans to pay their fair share.

Leon Youngblood, the event’s coordinator, said that this rally was put together “to bring attention to the youth about the climate they are facing.”

“This bill could infuse a lot of money into core jobs and our education system,” Youngblood said.

Iron Workers Union Local 118 member Karl Pineo said he “spoke on behalf of all tradesmen.” He explained that Sacramento alone has many buildings in dyer need of repair and modernization.

“Within a 10-mile radius of downtown Sacramento, we have more than 60 bridges and overpasses that are structurally insufficient,” Pineo said.

During the speeches, audience members we’re holding signs that read “Build California so California works.”

The rally lasted over 45 minutes with audiences’ chants, cheers and even whistles to go along with the speeches. At the end of the rally, Newman encouraged students and audience members to sign a petition in support of the Jobs Act.

“We need all the help we can get,” Newman said.