Priority application approaching for London study abroad program

The Northern California Study Abroad Consortium program for the fall 2013 semester in London is fast approaching its priority application deadline of April 19.

The program offers students from Cosumnes River College, and other campuses in the consortium, the opportunity to live and study in London for a period of four months, starting Sept. 5.

“It’s about personal growth,” said Colette Harris-Mathews, a communication studies professor at CRC who will be one of four professors traveling with students. “More organizations are requesting that students have global confidence.”

During their academic stay, students will have the chance to visit locations such as Scotland, Paris and Stonehenge, along with the opportunity to use the University of London library, Harris-Mathews said.

Students will be required to maintain a total of 12 units with a 2.25 minimum GPA during the semester. Six of the units must be taken from CRC while the remainder may be from courses offered from other institutions through the program, according to the Los Rios Study Abroad website.

“It’s about the attitude enhancement and change of a student, having an understanding of how others live and how others value,” Harris-Mathews said. “I think that students will see that we look at the world through a western lens.”

The cost of attending the program is comparable to what a student would spend in the United States over the same period, Harris-Mathews said. Certain scholarships are available for students, who may also apply financial aid funds towards the cost of the program.

Students interested are encouraged to attend one of the remaining open orientation meetings this month. The dates and times of these meetings, along with more information on the program, may be found on the Los Rios Study Abroad website or by contacting their office at 916-691-7187.