Societies relationship with what we consume is highlight of new One Book

Scott Redmond, Staff Writer

Each year a new book is chosen for One Book and the campus reads the book while partaking in various events put on by the school to highlight the themes of the book.

Living on a fixed budget can mean eating less than healthy but this year’s entry, “The Omnivore’s Dilemma” by Michael Pollan, and all the events shed some light on the food we eat, the industry that produces it, and the foods we should be eating.

In September there are a number of events to kick off the yearlong book reading. On the 11 and the 26, films will be shown that deconstruct the food industry and the truths about what goes on behind closed doors as well as possible avenues to pursue for the future to produce our food in better ways.

A workshop on the 27 called “Eat This, Not That: Getting Your Daily Superfoods” is a hands-on experience to learn strategies for maximizing the benefits that each bite and sip can offer, but also how to put them into practice, according to a flyer for the month’s events.

To end the month there will be a lecture entitled “Eating, Exercise and the American Dream: The Impact of Striving for the Perfect Body” hosted by psychology professor Jeanne Edman in the Recital Hall.

To find out more about the events of September and going forward, check out the One Book website at www.crc.losrios.edu/OneBook as well as the attached flyer.