OneBook event aims to promote healthy eating and thriftiness

Will Grubb, Staff Writer

Students and faculty will gather in the Orchard Room, in the cafeteria, on Sept. 27 in order to gain insight into not only how affordable eating healthy can be, but the costs of eating an unhealthy diet.

The hands-on workshop, titled “Eat This, Not That: Getting Your Daily Superfoods,” will be presented by nutrition professor Timaree Hagenburger and the Extended Opportunity Programs and Services Counseling office and will run from 1-2 p.m. The event aims to educate the campus on how to make informed food choices on a daily basis, tying into the theme of this year’s OneBook, “The Omnivore’s Dilemma.”

“Eating well and eating healthy doesn’t have to taste bad,” said Kathy Degn, EOPS Coordinator. “We’re hoping to encourage students to be more conscious of their diet.”

Diet consciousness isn’t all the workshop aims to accomplish however, as Degn stated that another goal of “Eat This, Not That” is educating students on the real costs of eating fresh fruits and vegetables.

“There is this misconception that buying fresh foods is more expensive than buying fast foods, and it really doesn’t have to be,” Deng said. The workshop aims to give students ideas on what foods to purchase, especially while on a budget.

“We’re giving opportunities to expand your knowledge, we’re giving opportunities to expand your tastes, and then potentially to buying options,” Hagenburger said.

She hopes that the workshop will provide students and faculty with more information on how to make the best possible decisions when faced with the omnivore’s dilemma: what should you eat?

All students and faculty interested in learning what healthy, affordable foods are available to them are encouraged to join. Seating will be limited, so all who are interested must sign up for the workshop in the EOPS office, L-106, located on the first floor of the library.

A follow up workshop will be held on Oct. 18 during the same hours, also in the Orchard Room. In addition to these workshops, there is a possibility of a farmer’s market being brought to campus in the month of October.

While the details are not quite worked out, Hagenburger believes that a farmer’s market on campus would provide Cosumnes River College with an excellent option for healthy eating.

“Farmers markets are always a positive for a community,” Hagenburger said. “It would be wonderful, I hope that gets going.”