Workshop suffers low turnout but is a help to students looking for work

Jesse Saeteurn, Guest Writer

Student’s searching for work were given tips to achieve their goal at a workshop entitled “Looking for a Job” held in SCI 215 on Nov. 15.Not many students attended the workshop, but the ones that did found it very helpful.

“I came because I wanted a job and the workshop’s useful information helped me with that,” said Channing Corbin, a 20-year-old funeral service education major. “It will be easier for me to find a job.”

There were two presenters at the workshop, Anna Davtian and Olga Prizhbilov. They both work in the career center on campus, assisting students on finding jobs.

Davtian discussed a lot about the current workplace trends. A notable trend she talked about was on employee engagement.

“You will have to spend a lot of time working with your co-workers,” she said. “It is important to have very good communication and positive interactions.”

The keys to searching for a job, were discussed in the workshop. One of them, is to use a variety of methods such as networking, approaching employers and checking published job listings.

Davtian encouraged students to be active job seekers. “When you apply for a position, don’t just wait, take action,” she said.

The workshop had a demonstration on how to find many different types of job opportunities on a site called LINCS, which can be found on any Los Rios college’s website.

Co-presenter Prizhbilov, explained about state job positions to the students who were interested. The campus has open state job positions posted on their website.

“Working for the state is very complicated,” Prizhbilov said. “[You] always want to make sure you meet the minimum qualifications.”

The presenters listed down the five best ways to hunt for a job. One of the best ways was by contacting an employer that interests you, whether they have openings or not.

The workshop gave the students who attended more confidence and knowledge on looking for a job.

“The information from the workshop was helpful, I learned a lot,” said Luis Lopez, an 18-year-old mathematics major.

Lopez was not alone in his praise.

“I would rate the workshop a 10 out of 10,” said Duy Pham, a 23-year-old political science major. “I recommend this workshop to every job seeker.”

A repeat session of the workshop will be offered on Dec. 10 at 2:30 pm in SCI-215.