Spirit of giving is spread through annual event

Jelina Cortero, Staff Writer

More than 30 volunteer programs participated in Cosumnes River College’s sixth annual Share Fair event on Nov. 20.

CRC’s Share Fair event was a success on its first of three days, filling up the entire front area of the Hawk’s Nest Bookstore with 40 or more chairs. Each of the chairs held a handout with the directory of all the programs participating in the day’s event.

Heather Hutcheson, coordinator of the event, is not just a professor at CRC. She is also a volunteer for a variety of local programs, such as the Sacramento Poetry Center, Metropolitan Arts Commission and she is the co-president of the Library Branch.

Hutcheson started the event six years ago in order to help students find a way to learn the value of volunteer service.

“It’s an opportunity for students to help those who don’t have a lot and make a huge difference,” Hutcheson said.

Along with Hutcheson, a panel of five volunteers from different volunteer organizations spoke. Each of them explained their organization, what it was about and what everyone as a community can do to help and support them.

Virginia Kidd, a representative of Friends of the Sacramento Library, has been fighting to keep the library system from closing for 18 years. She believes that she saw a place for herself in the library and has started a newsletter to spread the word and help keep the library alive.

A majority of the organizations are non-profit and Hutcheson’s key message is that the more we give to the community, the more we receive.

Cathy Crosthwaite calls herself the matchmaker and cheerleader of the Sacramento Public Library system.

“It makes a difference to wake up and be happy to go to work. If you have a job like that, money doesn’t matter,” Crosthwaite said.

Aside from providing answers to the general questions, the panel shared their experiences and passions about their services as well as offered their own personal advice.

“Working with 150 volunteers and getting to interact with different people is completely rewarding,” said Annie Hassid of the Wellspring Women’s Center. “There’s a lot you gain and it makes it worth it.”

Ed Lopez, an employer at the Salvation Army Sacramento, works in the Adult Rehab Center and made it clear that the Salvation Army was a very personal job.

“Once you get involved, you never want to let go,” he said.

The event spent much of its time explaining the different types programs and how to get involved.

“Just imagine a world where there’s no support. Who’s going to make the difference?” Lopez said. “You have to take the time and the initiative.”