Board of Governors adopts new policy to amend fee waiver requirements

Scott Redmond, Staff Writer

Since the inception of the Student Success Task Force in January 2011, the California Community Colleges Board of Governors has been focusing on ways to overhaul community colleges.

Their newest policy will require California community college students that receive fee waivers, such as the Board of Governors fee waiver, to meet minimum academic and progress standards in order to remain eligible for the financial assistance.

“We will do everything in our power to help students on financial aid succeed, but students need to know that they have a responsibility to keep up their end of the bargain,” said CCC Chancellor Brice W. Harris in a press release. “This policy provides students with incentives to meet standards that will ultimately help them achieve their educational goals. It benefits students and it is responsible stewardship of state resources.”

This new policy will take effect in fall of 2016 and is designed to work in conjunction with statewide enrollment priorities that go into effect in 2015 to “encourage students to focus on their classes and seek help when they face difficulties,” according to the press release.

Students that receive the BOG waiver would lose their eligibility if they are on probation, not able to maintain a 2.0 GPA for two consecutive terms or if they do not complete half of the units they attempt in that same period.

Any probation status must be reported to students within 30 days of the end of the term, in which they are then placed on probation and districts are required to inform students of the services that are available through their campus to assist them in moving out of probation.

Foster youths are exempt from the new policy and the board of governors has agreed to look into other possible exemptions in the future. Each district will be required to establish processes to appeal the disqualification for extenuating circumstances.