Student reports attempted robbery on campus

A+student+reported+an+attempted+robbery+on+campus+to+Los+Rios+Police+on+Sept.+12.+Neighboring+jurisdictions+were+notified+of+the+suspects+description.+
Gabriella Groves
A student reported an attempted robbery on campus to Los Rios Police on Sept. 12. Neighboring jurisdictions were notified of the suspect’s description.

An attempted robbery took place by the Business Science Building on Tuesday around 5 p.m., according to a Los Rios Police report.
The victim, a male student, was approached by a male suspect who demanded the victim’s belongings after a short conversation. The suspect threatened to use violence, according to the police report.
Another student came across the altercation and escorted the victim to the campus Police Office. The victim shared a description of the suspect with campus police which they shared with neighboring jurisdictions, but he had left the area, according to the police report.
The suspect is described as a Black adult male, approximately 6 feet tall with a slender build, dark complexion with curly hair and a thin mustache, according to the police report. He was wearing a brown hooded sweatshirt and black pants with tears in them, and he was carrying a blue or purple bag with a pink handle. He may go by the name of “Jules,” according to the report.
Ciarrah Erby, a 23-year-old social and behavioral sciences major, said she did not receive any campus alerts about the attempted robbery.
“I feel like I should have gotten it. I could be more on guard or attentive if I got it,” Erby said.
Erby said she has never had a bad experience at CRC.
“Everybody is calm and chill, so I’ve never questioned my safety,” Erby said.
Public Information Officer Kristie West said students who are enrolled at CRC should always recieve the Los Rios Police alert emails or texts when they are sent.
West said the campus only uses call and text alerts when there is an imminent and actionable risk to the health and safety of the college community.
Leychelle Dela Pez, a 26-year-old biology and nursing major, said she received the alert from Los Rios Police and said she feels updated and alert.
Carla Cotton, a 43-year-old plant biology major, said she wants to know who’s committing these acts.
“It does scare me a little bit and that’s why I lock all my car doors in the parking lot,” Cotton said.
If anyone has any information regarding the incident or the suspect’s identity, reference case number LRPD CASE #23-0160 when contacting Los Rios Police at (916) 558-2221 and press zero.

Staff writers Emanuel Espinoza and Sharmarke Holif contributed to this report.