Rocklin school board passes parental notification policy on gender identity

Six+districts+in+California%2C+including+Rocklin%2C+have+recently+passed+similar+policies+on+gender+identity.+Chino+Valley+Unified+School+District+was+the+first.+
Canva Graphic by Helen Harlan
Six districts in California, including Rocklin, have recently passed similar policies on gender identity. Chino Valley Unified School District was the first.

The Rocklin Unified School District passed a policy on Sept. 7 stating that parents must be notified by staff within three days if a student chooses to identify with different pronouns or a different gender.
With many parents and students in attendance, the board voted 4 to 1 to pass the measure.
Cosumnes River College students and staff expressed strong opinions on the policy.
“It could affect so many individuals and so many people’s lives. It’s intimidating and scary for those who want to have their own coming out story,” said WEAVE Confidential Advocate Clara Lenihan.
Ali Din, 18, a computer science major, said that parents should be informed of their child’s gender identity.
“Parents have a right to know what’s happening in their kid’s lives until the moment they’re 18, everything that happens to them,” Din said.
Sacramento-based Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist Adriana Rodriguez, who identifies as queer, warned of the poor mental health that the LGBTQ youth could experience due to such a policy.
“The data actually tells that for queer and trans youth when they’re not supported there’s a direct link to suicide, it’s very dangerous,” Rodriguez said after she hosted a mental health workshop for students on campus on Sept. 13.
Arpam Bhullar, 19, an undeclared major, said they were concerned about home life for those students.

“I think if they’re trying to keep a secret, if they’re uncomfortable and then their parents find out it could create problems at home,” Bhullar said.
In late July, Chino Valley Unified School District passed the first parental notification policy in California.
“It could be really dangerous,” said 18-year old Amarri Hawkins, an undeclared major. “I know a lot of people are really against it, so you’re making the student have to deal with that at home.”
In late August, California Attorney General Rob Bonta halted Chino’s policy.
“Every student has the right to learn and thrive in a school environment that promotes safety, privacy and inclusivity,” said Bonta in a press release on Aug. 28.
Dream Center Specialist Alejandro Torres said that trans youth already have so many struggles with mental health. “If they feel scared to be themselves they won’t be able to succeed in the classroom,” said Torres.
Since August five other California districts, including Rocklin, have followed Chino in passing similar policies.
“We gotta open up our hearts and our homes potentially for the people who don’t feel so safe, and so I hope that other places are more open and willing to accept people for who they are,” Rodriguez said.

View Comments (1)
Ella Pearman
Ella Pearman, Staff Writer
Ella Pearman is a staff writer for the Connection newspaper. She joined the Connection because she loves reading, writing and wants to pursue Journalism as a career. She likes sports specifically volleyball, soccer and softball.

• D

David WeinshilboumSep 21, 2023 at 9:40 am

good reporting, Pearman!

Reply