Spring election begins after candidate forum

Idalys Aguirre
Student Trustee candidate Anuhya Banerjee (left) speaks at the Cosumnes River College Candidate Forum on April 17 in the WINN Center. The CRC student elections begin on Tuesday and Wednesday from 8 a.m. to 11:30 p.m.

The Associated Students of Cosumnes River College held a candidate forum on April 17 for students to meet and listen to the Student Senate and Club and Events Board candidates, as the 2024 spring election begins on Tuesday.

The spring election is focused on the student trustee and members of the student association, the official organization representing students, consisting of the CAEB and Student Senate.

“Without having our student population meet our candidates and see them answering different questions, they’re not going to know who they’re voting for,” said Student Life Supervisor Kayla Anaya.

The candidates gathered in the WINN Center to introduce themselves and answer questions from students, such as things they are hoping to accomplish if elected.

Miranda Roccucci, current ASCRC senate president and sole candidate running for reelection, said she will continue to represent the student body by advocating both district and nationwide, continuing to have the student body’s voices heard.

The student voter guide includes each candidate’s Statement of Intent, outlining their interest in serving a specific position, issues or concerns they plan to address while in the position and their leadership qualifications, according to the 2024 Los Rios Student Voter Guide.

“When we have our elections, I think it’s important so that our students can put a face to a name that’s on the ballot,” Anaya said. “And if there’s multiple candidates, they are able to make the best decision for themselves and not just randomly choose somebody.”

Candidates for Student Senate president, vice president, secretary and senators are running for office, while vacant Student Senate positions such as treasurer, director of legislative affairs and other open Senate seats are to be filled through fall appointment, according to the voter guide.

Student leaders from each board are committed to advocating for students’ rights, improving the campus culture and developing transferable leadership skills. The CAEB functions to promote student involvement and activities, while the Student Senate functions to advocate for the common interest of students, according to the voter guide.

The student trustee provides their perspective to ensure students are served through service on the district’s board of trustees, according to the Student Trustee Handbook.

The four candidates for student trustee each represent a different Los Rios College. The term of office is one year and runs from June through May, according to the Los Rios website.

Mohaimen Abualturshi is the sole candidate for CAEB commissioner. Other vacant CAEB positions, such as vice commissioner, secretary, director of finance, events coordinator and at-large representatives are set to be filled through fall appointment, according to the voter guide.

Abualturshi said he aims to foster a vibrant campus culture through diverse events and inclusive clubs while enhancing the student experience by promoting collaboration, creativity and inclusivity within the campus community.

Voting begins on Tuesday from 8 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. and will continue through Wednesday from 8 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. Students can vote by visiting their eServices account, clicking on “Other Resources” and the “Elections & Surveys” tab, reading the voter guide and proceeding to the voting site.

Anaya said she encourages students to be more aware of the event flyers posted around campus and recommends students to follow the CRC Student Life & Leadership Instagram page to view upcoming club events, student senate events and election information.

ASCRC will be handing out a free burger and fries to students who vote in the quad in front of the library from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Tuesday and Wednesday while supplies last, according to the Instagram page.