Degeneration of music: originality is dead

It’s 1969 in Bethel, N.Y., 500,000 concert-goers are all singing along to the likes of Santana and Creedence Clearwater Revival. You can feel the passion, the love and the purpose in the air.

Woodstock was not just about music, it was a rare time in our nation’s history where young people joined together for “3 days of peace and music.” These were the days when music was more than just noise and catchy lyrics put together to make a song.

Nowadays, you turn on the radio and you hear songs like “Sexy and I know it” by LMFAO or “The Lazy Song” by Bruno Mars. Most logical people would look at those song titles and not even consider listening to them.

But, because of the declining talent and originality in music, those people are forced to listen to what radio and music labels try to sell to Americans as hot new music.

The lyrics to “Sexy and I Know it” are: “I’m in a speedo trying to tan my cheeks. This is how I roll, come on ladies it’s time to go.”

Listening to the “The Lazy Song” doesn’t get any better: “Tomorrow I’ll wake up, do some P90x. Find a really nice girl, have some really nice sex. And she’s gonna scream out, ‘this is great.’”

Where is the deep meaning and inspiration in that song? I can only speak for myself, but when I listen to music I want it to have meaning, I want the lyrics and music to speak to me. If I were to turn on the radio this very second, I would not get that from listening to the newest music.

Music has become more about image than talent. Go on YouTube and look up Richie King and Luke Holland. They have loads more talent than the likes of Travie McCoy and Selena Gomez. The difference is that McCoy and Gomez have the look. Sex sells in today’s market.

Another way to prove music’s degeneration is that few people know The Lonely Island are satirical rappers. In fact, they are comedians.

It’s almost sad that an act like The Lonely Island could make it in music, but they did. They did it because lyrical content no longer matters, if the beat is right, people will listen.

Let’s take your average underground rock band, A Day to Remember for instance.

The lyrics to one of their more popular songs “This is the House that Doubt Built” read like so: “Let’s believe if we all stand together, we’re a force that can shake the whole world. For once, I’m doing something right.” And: “You only got one life to lead, so don’t take for granted those little things. Those little things, are all that we have.”

I feel passion in those lyrics. I feel something more than just noise. There is a sense of empowerement and meaning in those lyrics. Plus, A Day to Remember delivers lyrics like that with an actual melody and with a vocalist actually singing as opposed to autotune or tone deaf chanting.

Don’t worry, real music is still being made, it is just getting hard to find. Next time you find yourself in a somber mood, turn off the radio and look for those acts that have loads of talent, but can’t catch a break. If we stand together, we are a force that can change the music scene.