Rihanna might ‘like the way it hurts’

Four years ago as Rihanna glammed up for the Grammy Awards on Feb. 10, 2009 she had no idea that she would become the victim of a brutal attack by former boyfriend Chris Brown.

The attack left many Americans in complete shock and many fans questioned their loyalty towards him after the morally wrong act. He even got a tattoo of a woman with a black eye on his neck after the incident.

Anybody want an even bigger shock? Rihanna is taking him back. After being humiliated, hurt and disrespected the hip-hop music artist is giving Chris a second chance.

“When that sh*t came back [love for Chris], it hit me like a ton of bricks,” said Rihanna in her interview with The Rolling Stones magazine. “Like, God, you’ve got to be kidding me.”

You’ve got to me kidding me too, Rihanna. The bricks must have hit her in the head harder than Chris did, if she’s going to overlook the fact that he physically abused and embarrassed her in front of the entire world.

Rihanna is idolized by millions of young fans who look up to her and what lesson is she teaching them by taking Chris back? She’s showing them that being physically assaulted is not the biggest deal in the world and that it can be forgiven.

I understand that everybody should be forgiven if they are truly sorry for what they did. What I don’t understand is learning how to love somebody again after they shatter your sense of integrity and self-respect.

The moment that Rihanna took Chris back she lost the battle. Anything he has done in the past to her, and what he will do to her in the future, she has allowed it.

The backlash from countless fans and fellow celebrities about the two getting back together may be a danger to Rihanna. She was even attacked in London by a former fan who threw a glass bottle at her and continued to scream at her.

“Even if it’s a mistake, it’s my mistake,” Rihanna said. “After being tormented for so many years, being angry and dark, I’d rather just live my truth and take the backlash. I can handle it.”

Rihanna took Chris back because she thinks she can handle whatever he throws at her, and she’s trying to prove herself. Sometimes the better thing to do is just let go, which is just as hard and admirable.

On the flip side, some of Rihanna’s friends are supporting the relationship.

“I think people put so much pressure on her being a role model and that’s a lot of pressure when you’re just trying to live your life,” said ex-basketball wife of Chad Johnson Evelyn Lozada. “I hope he’s [Chris] changed and he respects her and loves her and obviously will never go down that path again. I think he’s learned his lesson.”

Many men who have hit their wives promise they will never do it again, until that one push sends them over the edge and it happens again. I think it’s just a matter of time before
Rihanna does something Chris doesn’t like and his anger takes over.

Whether Chris has learned his lesson or not, Rihanna still has a lot of learning to do from her mistakes. Hopefully her choice to get back with Chris does not backfire on her, or put her skyrocketing career in jeopardy.

I guess she “liked the way it hurt”, just a bit too much.