• #CRCcampus: Want to share your photos and tweets with us? Use the hashtag #CRCcampus

First half mistakes prove costly as women’s soccer falls to Evergreen

Stephan Starnes

Freshman midfielder Jessica DeAnda battles for the ball against an Evergreen Valley College player on Sept. 5.

The women’s soccer team couldn’t build off the momentum of their season-opener win, as they lose to Evergreen Valley College on Sept. 5.

After they beat Fresno City 2-1 on Aug. 28, the Hawks had a great opportunity to start their season off with a winning streak, but a sloppy first half led to a 2-0 loss.

“We were out-hustled and out-played,” said head coach Cesar Plasencia. “We played better in the second half but it was too late.”

The match started off physical, and in the first 10 minutes there had already been multiple knockdowns and penalties which neither team could capitalize on.

However, just 15 minutes into the game, Evergreen freshman Myriam Ramirez was able to get her head on a ball that was blooped into the penalty box, lofting it just over the keeper’s head to score the match’s first goal.

Just five minutes after their first goal, Evergreen’s Leticia Covarrubias broke away from the defense and had a one-on-one opportunity with the keeper. However, her shot attempt sailed just over the crossbar and the game remained 1-0.

Evergreen would stay on the attack and kept the pressure on the Hawks. They controlled the ball on offense which forced CRC to settle in on defense.

Unfortunately for the Hawks, the pressure cost them a goal midway through the first when in an attempt to regain control, the ball was passed to the Hawks keeper by a teammate.  However, Evergreen’s Covarrubias intercepted the pass and was able to knock in the easy goal to take a 2-0 lead.

The rest of the first half was the same as Evergreen controlled the possession, getting a handful of shots on goal, while sloppy passes from the Hawks prevented them from gaining any type of control.

“We weren’t playing to feet, we weren’t communicating at all,” said sophomore defender Rachel Dube. “There was no passion in the first half.”

However, the second half proved to be a lot more competitive.

The Hawks came out aggressive and played a lot more physical. They were able to even up the possession battle and get a couple shots on goal.

CRC had their best opportunity to break the shutout when freshman striker Crystal Vega took a shot on goal that went just over the crossbar.

The Hawks were never able to put any significant pressure on Evergreen for the rest of the game and were shutout.

“In the second half we communicated a lot better.” Vega said. “If we played that way the whole game it would have been a different outcome.”

In addition to communication, effort on the field will be a talking point at practice.

“We have to be first to the ball,” Dube said. “We need to have passion coming out and a lot more energy.”

Make sure to follow @CRCHawks on Twitter and Like the Cosumnes River College Hawks on Facebook to catch all of CRC’s sports action!

Cody Durham, Former Staff

Serving as a staff writer, Editorial Sports Assistant & Sports editor, Cody was part of the Connection staff for three semesters. A semester of assisting...