Women’s soccer secure rematch victory against Diablo Valley

The women’s soccer team won their rematch against the Diablo Valley College Vikings on Oct. 26.

The Hawks’ first match against DVC resulted in a 1-0 loss on Sept. 28,  due to injuries Cosumnes River College played the away game with only one substitution.

“We’ve been struggling all season,” said Hawks’ head coach Cesar Plasencia. “But obviously at home is a bit of an advantage.”

The Vikings started the match at full force with two shots on goal in the first minute.

Several attempts on goal from both teams resulted in multiple saves for both goalkeepers.

Freshman defender Kaylyn Toyama gave CRC a 1-0 lead with a shot in the 34th minute that snuck into the bottom corner of the goal.

In the first half both teams played aggressively, but in stoppage time the referee showed a yellow card to the Vikings’ defender Lindsey Parscal for unsportsmanlike conduct.

The teams started the second half of the game and right away DVC showed the same force they showed in the first half and once again attempted to even up the game within the first two minutes.

In the 10th minute of the second half, CRC’s sophmore defender Rachel Dube committed a foul resulting in a free kick. The kick was deflected out of bounds and gave the Vikings a corner kick. The kick was sent to the back post as DVC’s defender Cherie Lapating aimed for the goal but missed far left.

Half way through the second half of the game CRC’s foward Alyssa Hanks passed the ball to midfielder Jessica DeAnda. DeAnda sent the ball over DVC’s goalkeeper Jenn Crider and brought the game to a 2-0 CRC lead.

Three minutes later, DVC had several opportunities but, the Hawks’ goalkeeper Joana Hernandez was able to prevent the Vikings from scoring.

Several CRC attempts later and DeAnda scored once more in stoppage time to end the game in a 3-0 victory

Losing the first game against DVC gave them motivation to win this game.

“We’ve actually worked harder,” said CRC’s goalkeeper Joana Hernandez. “We actually came out with passion and wanting to win because we lost last time.”

The win put the Hawks in sixth place in the Big 8 and gives them an overall record of 5-7-5.