Hawks’ pizza celebration soured by loss to Delta

The Hawks volleyball team squared off against the Delta College Mustangs on Oct. 26 at Cosumnes River College.

The Hawks struggled against the Mustangs, losing three consecutive sets against them.

CRC got off to a good start scoring the first point, but Delta College tied things up with an out-of-bounds call and continued to score points from then on.

Freshman libero Mary Tamayo tried to save the ball but it slipped from her hand, resulting in a point for Delta College that added to their momentum.

At that point, the Mustangs were ahead 15-6. Delta College won the first set with a final score of 25-9.

“It was rough,” said head coach Natalie Wells. “There were times we could have done better, but we had too many unforced errors.”

Delta College was the team to deliver the first point in the second set. CRC scored one point with a block, but Delta College quickly tied things up with a 1-1 score at the beginning of the second set.

The Mustangs scored more points as the second set progressed. Still in the beginning, CRC was close in points up until the 10 point mark.

CRC and Delta College were still close in the score range but the Mustangs started picking up as the second set finished with a final score of 25-14.

“It sucks a lot that we lost and we obviously did not play to our full potential,” said freshman middle hitter Marquesa Harris.

During the break, Spike and Slice Night was celebrated. Children in attendance took part in a T-shirt contest where they had to serve the ball onto a shirt. The participant would win a T-shirt if the serve was successful. The event also included free pizza for everybody in attendance and there were raffles as well.

The celebration settled and the player hit the court again for some more action.

In the third and final set of the game, Delta College scored the first kill, but CRC stayed close behind in the early going bringing the score to 7-6. However, the Mustangs kept the pressure on the Hawks with point streaks throughout the set.

Towards the end of the third set, the Mustangs lead the Hawks 23-13. Despite the deficit, the Hawks did not give up. They still managed to score three more points, but the set ended with a final score of 25-16.

The Hawks suffered a rough loss against the Mustangs winning three consecutive sets. The players themselves said that they didn’t play to their full potential.

“We’ll be working much harder than tonight,” said sophomore outside hitter Hoang Nguyen. “We’re going to be striving to be better in the future.”

Wells said that the team can do better than they did in this game.

“We could have played better,” Wells said. “Every dog has its day and today it wasn’t ours.”