There’s no ‘I’ in team but there’s always a leader

In the first game of Cosumnes River College’s softball three-way contest with San Mateo College and Fresno City College on Feb. 23, there was already a damper on the day for the home team. In the fifth inning of CRC’s first game, with the Hawks still up to play Fresno later in the day, San Mateo scored five runs.

It’s easy for a team to lose its spirit in such a situation, and doing so would darken their mood going into their second game a few hours later.

However, the women kept up their energy and their game chants were loud as ever. A big part of the team’s spirit is invested in its sophomore pitcher.

Allison Barsetti, who is one of the team captains, does her best to keep her team’s spirits high in situations like this.

“I always try to keep cheering our cheers,” Barsetti said. “I try to pick up people individually by saying ‘oh man, you did this great,’ ‘you looked good out there,’ ‘man you made a good play,’ stuff like that.”

Being a part of a sports team means that you’re a part of a larger entity. However, each team does need to have players that separate themselves from the pack.

CRC’s softball head coach Kristy Schroeder said that picking the right leaders is “extremely important” for the team.

“You have to have some sort of captain everyone feels comfortable with,” Schroeder said. “The coach and players both pick.”

Schroeder emphasized the importance of players agreeing with their captains, but that the coach needs to guide the leaders.

“If you want the culture of the team to be positive and sound, you need the traits of carrying on what coaches want,” Schroeder said

Schroeder said that a team leader is someone who “inspires, holds people and themselves accountable, plays with passion and heart and has good communication.”

Barsetti said that the qualities that make her stand out as a leader is her determination to do better. She followed by saying that she is one of the team’s main pitchers and someone that the team looks to.

“I always give my all every single game,” Barsetti said. “And I’m always striving for more.”

Cesar Plasencia, head coach of the women’s soccer team, agreed that a leader must hold themselves accountable, even before their teammates.

Plasencia also said that leaders have to be an example outside of athletics. He believes that a leader must be an example “academically, as well as athletically.”

Baseball head coach Tony Bloomfield also believes that leaders are needed for more than just athletics.

Bloomfield, who coached the team to a State Championship in May, said that he looks not to make professional players, but “good people, husbands and fathers and good students.”

However, Bloomfield isn’t as confident in finding leaders in community college.

“I’m not sure there’s many leaders developed at an early age,” Bloomfield said.

Bloomfield went on to say there is too much “micromanaging” from coaches and parents to let players develop as leaders, and that there are not enough “kids out on the playground.”

Schroeder also said that there aren’t enough kids “out on the playground” anymore, which hinders leadership in young players, but she still said that her team had a few types of leaders.

Despite this view, Bloomfield said that he does view all of his returning players as leaders.
Bloomfield said that he does view all of his returning players as leaders.

At the end of the day, Barsetti keeps the team’s spirits high and leads the softball team by example.

“Mainly I just keep pitching myself and put on a good show for everyone,” she said.