Men’s basketball loses in playoff game

The Cosumnes River College Hawks men’s basketball team lost to the Cabrillo College Seahawks with a final score of 77-75 on Wednesday night.

Losing their first game in the Big 8 Conference, the team will be out for the rest of the season.

“Our mindset was to play hard and execute as best as we could,” said sophomore guard Leondre Lintz. “We want to get the best shots possible and play great defense.”

The game started with Hawks sophomore forward Victor Wariso scoring the first points of the night, but shortly after the Seahawks scored in return.

This set the tone for the entire first half of the game, and the Seahawks continuously had the lead over the Hawks by no more than a few points.

Six minutes into the half, Seahawks were leading with the score of 20-16.

Both teams played hard defensively, as no one scored a point for the next six minutes of the game.

Breaking this dry streak, Hawks freshman forward Jordan Roberson was fouled and made two points from the free throw line, bringing the score to 20-18.

But the Hawks were unable to secure the rebound offensively and defensively at the end of the first half.

“Because of our size, it’s harder to rebound,” said Head Coach Jonathan James. “If we had more opportunities to rebound I think that would’ve eliminated second chances for the other team.”

The first half of the game ended with the Hawks trailing behind five points against the Seahawks with the score 42-37.

“In the first half, they beat us both offensively and defensively,” said James. “In the second half we eliminated one [offensively], and that got us back in the game.

The Hawks’ sophomore forward Robert Tolbert scored the first points starting in the second half.

The scores remained neck-in-neck, as each team matched the other point for point.

The second half was filled with fouls exchanged between the teams.

At one minute until the end of the final quarter, the Hawks had minimized the Seahawks’ lead to five points at 75-70.

With only 30 seconds left, Roberson was fouled and made two points for the Hawks with a score of 75-72.

The clock was ticking with 6.9 seconds left, and Roberson made a clutch three-pointer, the Hawks closing in with one point down as the scoreboard showed 76-75.

Seahawks freshman guard Tynan Velasquez was fouled and made one point at the free throw line giving them a two point lead.

Four seconds left of the game, Hawks lost control of the ball and ended with a heartbreaking two point loss against the Seahawks with the score of 77-75.

Two key players for the Hawks were Lintz and Roberson. Lintz scored 20 points with five assists and two rebounds, and Roberson scored 23 points with five rebounds and two assists.

“Being in the heat of the moment and playing at home with a big crowd, that’s when the real players come out and show what they really have,” said Roberson. “I’m that type of player who can make a couple of shots and get in my zone and I’m just locked in and focused.”

This was the last game of the season for the Hawks, who will now prepare for next season.