Hawks end match against Santa Rosa in third consecutive tie

Emanuel Espinoza
The Hawks face the Santa Rosa Junior College Bear Cubs at home with the match ending in a 0-0 tie. Freshman midfielder Brenda Jimenez battles to keep the ball in the Hawks’ favor.

The women’s soccer team faced the Santa Rosa Junior College Bear Cubs on Friday and ended the match with a 0-0 tie for the third consecutive time at home.

Head coach Cesar Plasencia said the Hawks didn’t do a good job in attacking.

“We got lucky we didn’t lose,” Plasencia said. “We got outplayed today and found a way to tie the game. We look to improve every game and we find ways to get better.”

Both teams fought and struggled, but were unsuccessful in scoring a goal. CRC had four shots on goal and Santa Rosa had three. Santa Rosa’s goalkeeper had saved the ball four times during the match, while sophomore goalkeeper Zara Mujica made three saves overall.

Among the shots, both teams had their share of fouls with CRC having two less than Santa Rosa, as they had a total of nine and CRC had seven. The Hawks had two yellow cards given to freshmen midfielders Mandy Thao and Natalie Cervantes.

Freshman winger and left forward Angelina Ortiz said one of the reasons for the tie was because the Hawks had started slow and were unable to match the Bear Cubs’ energy in the first half, but picked up towards the end and couldn’t finish.

Ortiz said the back line carried the game more. Despite the result in a tie, she said it was a great game and great that they didn’t lose.

“I think we just need to work on the attacking side of things,” Ortiz said. “I think we worked a lot harder in our last game but we just had a hard time starting out in this one.”

One of the biggest faults of this game was not taking too many chances, said freshman center back and team co-captain Nichole Morris. She said in spite of the result, the rest of the team worked hard and that there is always the next match.

“We had a lot of opportunities for goals but couldn’t put them in the back of the net,” Morris said. “We definitely wanted to win this game but there is always the next match.”