Hawks break losing streak against Modesto Junior College Pirates

Emanuel Espinoza
CRC went neck-and-neck against Modesto Junior College on Wednesday, ending their six-game winning streak. Sophomore middle hitter Antonique Coleman spiked the ball to gain an advantage.

Winning 3-1, Hawks volleyball broke their six-game losing streak in a neck-and-neck battle against the Modesto Junior College Pirates on Wednesday.

Sophomore middle hitter Antonique Coleman said this game celebrated “Sophomore Night,” which is the last home game for sophomores.

“It’s pretty special because it’s the last time we get a big crowd for our regular season in the gym,” Coleman said. “It feels good to be acknowledged for the work we put in during our last two years.”

CRC gained an advantage in the first set after scoring three points. They scored two kills and an extra point when the Pirates made an out-of-play error. CRC won the first set with a score of 25-18.

Head Coach Kari Nahlen said the team played together well after the losing streak.

“Our team is definitely ready for the playoffs in a conference where every game is a ‘conference game’,” Nahlen said. “They’re going to have a great chance going into the playoffs for sure.”

Nahlen said the sophomores came in and dominated. She said they hope to do the same for the next couple of games in the Big 8 Conference.

MJC had the advantage in the second set where there was an 18-10 lead in their favor. However, CRC slowly caught up to them where the teams were neck-and-neck with each other. The second set resulted in two deuces and CRC winning the set with a score of 28-26.

The third and fourth sets had a close score, but MJC won the third set. CRC won the fourth and final set with the overall score being 3-1.

Coleman and freshman middle hitter Jillian Bosanek assisted each other twice with two successful blocks in this game.

Bosanek said the team played well after a rough couple of games and had enough energy to win.

“I’m really proud of us as a team,” Bosanek said. “I think we’re overcoming a lot of things, are ready for playoffs, to start winning again and to start working together as a team.”

Freshman outside hitter Erin Chelini scored 16 kills and three aces overall. Chelini said the Pirates have always been a strong team and everyone has been an even match, resulting in close scores.

“We always love playing against competitive programs,” Chelini said. “In the Big 8, we have a lot of top competitors from Northern California, so every match has been a challenge and will continue to be. We just take it as it comes and continue to grow.”