Men’s basketball dominates Modesto Junior College after losing two in a row

Seth Henderson
Guard Isaiah Griffin (right) stares down his basket against the American River College Beavers in the Hutchinson Gym at ARC on Jan. 26. The Hawks beat the Modesto Junior College Pirates 72-59, ending their stretch of five consecutive away games on Jan. 30.

The men’s basketball team dominated the Modesto Junior College Pirates on the road 72-59 with the Hawks taking the lead early in the game on Tuesday.

The Hawks were previously upset by the American River College Beavers on Friday 65-62 at ARC. The Hawks were up by one point with under a minute left in the game, but the Beavers found a way to comeback.

Freshman guard Luca Davis said the loss to ARC was frustrating and it was a similar situation to the team’s game against Sacramento City College. He said the team had to come prepared for their next game.

“We’ve got seven more games,” Davis said on Friday. “The goal has got to be 7-0 and that’s what we plan to do.”

The Pirates scored first in Tuesday’s matchup, but the Hawks were quick to answer with their dominance as sophomore guard Karlos Zepeda drove down the court, passing the ball off to sophomore forward Antonio Tercero for a fast break score.

The Hawks led by 10 points at one time in the first half and possessed the ball in the final moments before halftime. Up 28-21, freshman guard William Goebel drove to the basket for a lay up and was fouled, but the basket counted. Goebel makes the “and one” free throw shot to put the Hawks up 31-21 at halftime.

Cosumnes River College started the second half strong. Tercero led a fast break and passed the ball to sophomore guard Isaiah Griffin for an alley-oop dunk.

The Hawks built up a double-digit lead the Pirates couldn’t overcome. The defense allowed four points in the final two minutes of the game and the Hawks had final possession of the ball.

The men’s basketball team finishes their five consecutive road games with a 2-3 record and a 13-9 record overall on the season. They’re also 6-4 within the Big 8 Conference scoring 72.1 points per game, according to the CRC Hawks website.

The Hawks play the Sierra College Wolverines on Friday at 5:30 p.m. The Wolverines are  3-7 in the conference after losing to ARC.