Softball makes state championship appearance after nearly a decade

Zachary Styant-Browne
Sophomore pitcher Anjalina Dahdouh prepares for a pitch against the Sierra College Wolverines at home on April 12. The Hawks face the Cypress College Chargers in the California Community College Athletics Association State Championship on May 16 in Saratoga, Calif. at 8 p.m.

The Hawks’ softball team dominated their regular and postseason games to achieve their first appearance at the California Community College Association of Athletes State Championship in nearly 10 years, facing off against the Cypress College Chargers.

With a 37-8 record, the Hawks will go against the 37-7 defending state champions on Thursday in Saratoga, California. The Chargers are from Orange County, making the Saratoga location a neutral site. The Hawks are 1-2 at neutral sites and the Chargers have not played a game at a neutral site, according to their website.

“If our pitchers are on and our defense plays well, then we’ll have a chance,” Head Coach Kristy Schroeder said. “We’ve been accomplishing the goals we set out this year.”

Sophomore pitcher Tatiana Blas is the fifth-ranked pitcher in the state and leads the Hawks in earned runs average with a 1.15 ERA, according to the Hawks’ website.

“It’s kind of a big deal,” Blas said. “I’ve worked my whole life to be here and it feels good to know my hard work has paid off.”

Blas said a win would be much more special and she feels supported knowing her team has her back. She said the connection with the team is quite close and she appreciates the mental ability to support each other.

The Chargers will be seeing their 31st state finals appearance after winning their 10th state title, according to the National Fastpitch Coaches Association. Their sophomore pitcher Kaitlyn Reynolds is the state’s leading pitcher, according to the 3C2A website.

Schroeder said she had not faced the Chargers coaching staff before, but she has been watching their film and feels the Hawks can beat anybody. She said to never take any team lightly and plans to “get on them early.”

Freshman catcher Izzy Vela said her teammates believe the Chargers are beatable as long as everyone hits the ball. She said communication is the reason her and the team have the opportunity to play the state championship game.

Vela said she’s not worried about playing at a neutral site and is treating it like any other game.

“We have nothing left to lose,” Vela said. “It’s just a few more days and a couple more games.”

The Hawks take to Viking Field at West Valley College in Saratoga on Thursday night at 8 p.m., and the game will be streamed live on Tournament Central, according to the 3C2A website.