Students audition for Greek tragedy ‘Electra’

Gabriella Groves
Director Janey Pintar leads students in a warm up at “Electra” rehearsals. “Electra” will run Oct. 13-22 and will be paired with “Electrida” by Luis Alfaro.

Auditions for the Greek tragedy “Electra” were held at the Cosumnes River College Black Box theatre on Aug. 21 and 22.
Theater Arts professor Martin Flynn asked adjunct art professor Janey Pintar to direct the classic Greek tragedy.
“I like ‘Electra’ by Sophocles. We’re doing a translation that’s a more modern translation by Anne Carson,” Pintar said. “I like it because they have some really strong female characters including a strong female lead in Electra.”
Pintar’s take will have a modern twist and be set in the future. There will be seven main character roles and a chorus cast.
Students of all genders, sexualities and identities were welcomed to audition.
“As an artist and as a theater teacher, I very much promote performances that are supporting a lot of underrepresented students and a lot of underrepresented student artists in the theater,” Pintar said. “This is something that I keep in mind when thinking of the shows that I really like to do, so that way I can give students opportunities.”
Pintar said that her preparation for the auditions consisted of analyzing the play, knowing the demands for the play and organizing the audition and callback process.
Freshman Emma Havers, a general education major, tried out for all of the female parts.
“I kind of impulsively decided to audition like a week ago and now here I am,” Havers said.
Roman Stewart, a 30-year-old music major, has auditioned and participated in two musicals at CRC, “The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee” and “Domestic Disturbance”.
“I’m a music major but I want to get into theater more, so I wanted to try and audition for ‘Electra’,” Stewart said.
Stewart said the audition process was different from the other two shows because one was more kid-ish and the other more personal.
Elfie Marcewicz, a 26-year-old mortuary science major, tried out for Clytemnestra who is one of the main female leads.
“It’s been a while since I have been on stage, since high school and I love Greek literature and mythology,” Marcewicz said.
Marcewicz tried out for “Antigone” last semester, but she said she felt more prepared for the “Electra” auditions.
“Everyone is so loving in the theater community and so everyone just feeds off of each other.” Marcewicz said. “It was more relaxing, not relaxing, but as relaxing as it can be. It’s comfortable, feels like family.”
“Electra” will run Oct. 13-22 and will be paired with “Electrida” by Luis Alfaro.