Students respond to the 6% tuition hike at CSU

Photo courtesy of Ryan Lorenz
California State University will increase their tuition starting the fall semester of 2024. The increase was approved by CSU’s Board of Trustees on Sept. 13.

The California State University Board of Trustees voted this month to raise tuition by 6% annually over five years, according to CSU’s website.
Students and faculty at Cosumnes River College reacted to the tuition hike and how it might affect those transferring to a CSU.
The increase will take place the next academic school year starting fall of 2024, according to CSU’s website.
Aaron Peterson, an 18-year-old history major, said that he thinks it will be harder financially for people, but he understands why CSUs are raising their tuition.
“Overall, it’s kind of just meh for me. I mean, I still plan on transferring to CSU Sacramento because it’s the nearest school that has the program that I want that is closest to where I live,” Peterson said. “It sucks, but it’s what I got to do.”
Sabrina Curlee, a 19-year-old funeral service education major, said that she thinks it’s a bad idea for CSU to increase its tuition.
“I honestly don’t think it’s a good idea because people nowadays, especially in California, just can’t afford it and there’s a lot of people that want to go to college,” Curlee said.
Curlee said that she will be transferring to a CSU but the increase will not affect her transfer plans.
Andrew Phann, a 25-year-old exercise science major, said that CSU raising its tuition is inconsiderate and that the tuition should be decreasing instead.
“They should be thinking about the well-being of students and not about making money,” Phann said.
Phann said that increasing tuition might make students consider coming to community college instead because it is the cheaper route.
Megan Neves, a counselor and transfer center coordinator, said that tuition increases at CSUs are interesting.
“Personally, I think that it is an alignment with the other initiatives of their dual admissions. They are directing students from high school essentially to the community college and giving them a pathway after the community college to go straight into the CSU in which you enter the agreement,” Neves said.
Neves said that she encourages students to come to a community college, utilize the resources, save money and hopefully get a good education.
Emily Barkley, a student personnel assistant for the transfer center, said that schools are changing their deadlines for applicants.
“We don’t want students to feel discouraged in any way because they are hearing that it is going to cost more to attend,” Barkley said.
Neves and Barkley said they are working to support students when it comes to transferring to a four year college and will be providing their services during Transfer Day on Oct. 5.
Transfer Day will be located in the quad on campus and over 50 colleges are scheduled to attend and provide information on transfer requirements.