Men’s soccer wins at home, dominates Golden Eagles

Emanuel Espinoza
Freshman right back Christian Brenes scores the third goal in first half. CRC leads the first half 3-0, ultimately defeating West Hills 6-0.

The Hawks beat the West Hills Golden Eagles with a final score of 6-0 on Tuesday.

Head coach Ron Preble said the match was well-played from beginning to end and the team was sharp in their finishing. In spite of the victory, Preble said there were moments where the players could have read the game better and had been in better spots.

“It was a good game for the guys and I was happy for them to get the victory,” Preble said.

Twenty minutes into the first half, Cosumnes River College scored three goals. Freshman right back Christian Brenes scored the third goal and said he felt good about the victory.

“We’ve been training every day off-season to get to this point where we are flowing well as a team,” Brenes said.

CRC finished the first half with a 3-0 lead. West Hills made six saves throughout the entire match, more than CRC’s sole save. CRC had 20 shots on goal, whereas West Hills had four shots.

Each team received two yellow cards in the game, but one player from West Hills earned a red card and was ejected from the game.

CRC had 20 shots on goal overall in the match and West Hills saved the ball from goal attempts four times.

CRC scored two more goals in the second half within three minutes as freshman midfielder Joaquin Luna scored the fourth goal and freshman defender Patrick Molinari scored the fifth . Freshman forward Nathan Beltran scored the sixth and final goal of the match ending it with a 6-0 lead.

Vangelatos said the team came into this game with good energy but there were some flaws in the game as well.

“There are times when we’re too relaxed in some moments,” Vangelatos said. “If the level isn’t totally there, we need to be on 100% of the time. There are times during the game when we might not be in the moment.”