Campus conversations highlight Black experience on campus

+Director+of+Upward+Bound+and+Interim+Director+of+TRIO+Student+Support+Services+Trinity+Wilson+%28left%29+asking+different+table+groups+questions+about+the+black+experience+on+campus.+Wilson+said+she+uses+these+events+to+emphasize+the+resources+on+campus+for+students.
Seth Henderson
Director of Upward Bound and Interim Director of TRIO Student Support Services Trinity Wilson (left) asking different table groups questions about the black experience on campus. Wilson said she uses these events to emphasize the resources on campus for students.

A group of about 50 students, staff and faculty members gathered on Wednesday to discuss support for the Black experience and community in the Winn Center during the Black State of the College event.

Director of Upward Bound and Interim Director of TRIO Student Support Services Trinity Wilson said this event is not only a way to see what the Black experience is like on campus, but also what the perceived Black experience looks like. She said the goal of the event was to ensure actionable support is given to students beyond just a conversation.

“The turnout was really good. We had a professor bring her class, which is really exciting,” Wilson said. “Once you recognize the topic isn’t only important to you, but a shared importance to the community, it means a lot. So, that’s what I’ve seen.”

A panel of five Black students from Cosumnes River College spoke about expectations, social pressures, academic struggles and community based solutions to help overcome those obstacles.

Audience members participated in group discussions, divided into separate tables. Each table had a large pad of paper on it with a marker. Each group would discuss and write down their answers to questions asked by Wilson and other staff members. After each question, a member from each group would share their answer with the audience.

Twenty-year-old management information systems major Emmanuel Durualexis said this event made him feel welcomed and included as a Black student on campus. He said he looks forward to learning more about CRC’s inclusive programs.

“I knew about Umoja, but I have not had the time to like actually go there,” Durualexis said. “I think I was just waiting to see a sense of community like this, to encourage me to be able to be there in person.”

Durualexis said it was important to have a mixture of backgrounds in the room because it helped people make the experience good for everyone, including the Black community.

“The professors were here and in turn they learned, as they get better at the way they teach, to maximize the student’s experience,” Durualexis said.

Student Support Specialist Malik Amos said the Black state of the college is slowly coming back after the pandemic. He said the programs are growing semester by semester.

“That’s my vision. To kind of build a bridge between Umoja, the A2MEND program and try to revitalize the BSU (Black Student Union) club as well,” Amos said. “Just kind of see them as one. One big party.”