Hawk CARES helps students dress for success 

Helen Harlan
The Hawk Closet is located in the Hawk CARES Center in P-48. Students enrolled in three or more units are welcome to one full outfit a month.

The Hawk CARES program launched a professional clothing drive from Sept. 18 to Sept. 22 for students entering the workforce.

The drive took place in the Hawk Closet located in the Hawk CARES Center in P-48 and the closet is available to all students enrolled in a minimum of three units. It allows students to receive one full outfit per month. 

“I know that a lot of CRC students are getting ready for that professional world and sometimes we don’t have the budget to get the nice clothes, the nice suits, the nice dresses,” said 25-year-old sociology major and Hawk CARES Student Personnel Assistant Graciela Castaneda. “Just having that available for students makes it easier for them to get that jump start started.” 

The closet offers a variety of items such as ties, shoes, informal dress-wear and even a handful of graduation caps and gowns. The program was inspired by a similar offering at CSU Humboldt State, according to the Hawk Closet website. 

“It helps with the interview because you know nobody wants to come in with casual clothing, so I believe it’s really beneficial for them to pick out clothing,” said 19-year-old child development major and Hawk CARES staff member Emily Barajas. “We have suits, we have dresses, we have nice tops. So I feel like it can gain more confidence for them and their interview.” Barajas said. 

Barajas said the clothing drive can give students a wardrobe confidence boost when walking into an interview.

“Knowing that they’re taking the first step in looking the part is always good because you know we have to present ourself a certain way. So making that accessible for them gives them that push,” Castaneda said. 

The Hawk CARES program assists students with their basic needs and gives students a place to turn to when in need. The program provides housing assistance, the Hawk Spot food pantry, student emergency funds and food and transportation assistance.  

Find more about the Hawk Closet here.