Campus turns out for National First-Generation College Student Day

Ella Pearman
Students gather for National First-Generation College Day on Wednesday in the quad. The event featured campus resource tables for students, food, speakers and raffle prizes.

The Center for Inclusion and Belonging hosted an event in the quad on Wednesday in celebration of National First-Generation College Day.
The event attracted crowds and offered raffle prizes, catered food, community resources and guest speakers.
“I’m the first person in my family to go to college,” said 19-year-old business major Lesley Gonzalaz. “I think this event magnifies how many people are in the same position as me.”
National First-Generation College Day is celebrated November 8 in honor of the Higher Education Act established in 1965.
“I feel like it brings together people who are in the same boat,” said Isabel Lopez, 19, a computer science major. “If they’re struggling with school and they don’t really have anyone to talk to, an event like this might make people bond together or you might find people to help you out.”
College President Dr. Edward Bush spoke at the event and said there’s a feeling amongst first-generation college students of not belonging.
“This is a lie,” Bush said. “You are a college student in every sense of the word. You are brilliant, you are intelligent, you are here because of the things that have happened in your life, not in spite of.”
CRC and UC Davis Alumnus Roberto Rizo spoke about his experience as a first-generation student who was 17 when he immigrated from Mexico. Rizo said he hoped people would learn from his story so they would not be ashamed to ask for help.
“We live in this society that rewards people that do it by themselves as if it’s worth more,” Rizo said. “We all need a group of people to support us.”
20-year-old psychology major Jay Jackson said colleges she’s previously attended didn’t offer as many resources and events for students of different backgrounds like CRC does.
“I feel like it’s a good opportunity for people to just talk, which they don’t really get the opportunity to,” Jackson said. “They can talk to somebody and get a general idea of what kind of help they can get.”
ASCRC Club and Events Board Vice Commissioner Mohaimen Abualturshi said that he hoped to show students there are many resources and people to talk to at CRC that can offer help.
“I love to see first-generation students, especially, communicate with us in a group,” Abualturshi said. “Make connections, communicate with people. Communication is key.”