Students relax, get creative at vision board workshop

Ella Pearman
A vision board created by the Connection’s Gabriella Groves at the CIB’s Vision Board Workshop on Wednesday. Many students said they felt the event was a time to relax before finals week.

The Center for Inclusion and Belonging hosted a vision board workshop on Wednesday.

“I’ve never really done a vision board,” said 19-year-old architecture major Melanie Reyes-Cruz. “So I just wanted to try it for the first time and to just de-stress overall with finals week coming up.”

The CIB provided free coffee to anyone who participated in making a vision board.

19-year-old Bobby Fisher-Level, a nutrition major, said the event was great for campus and all students should do this type of thing more often.

Student Personnel Assistant Olivia Lopez helped put on the event as part of the Work Ability III program, which is a community college program that aids students with disabilities.

“We support students with disabilities to gain employment,” Lopez said. “We wanted to bring students together and allow students to set goals for their future.”

Students said they felt the event was perfectly timed in the midst of finals weekend and it was a moment where they could relax.

“This is calming and allows me to think about the bigger picture and it’s a great way to meet people,” Reyes-Cruz said.

20-year-old Audrey Jeffers, a business and studio art major, said she agreed the workshop was calming.

“I have gained a lot of relaxation,” Jeffers said. “It just really helps me put into perspective what I need to do.”

Many of the students said they found the process of making the vision board as a way to lay out what they wanted for their futures.

“I don’t think I’ve had the chance to think about what I want personally other than academically,” Reyes-Cruz said. “This year I’ve focused too much on other people or school work, to the point where I’m not taking care of myself. So my goal was just to do more self care.”

Fisher-Level said she felt it was a way to dive into how to meet her personal needs.

“I want to do more social things,” Fisher-Level said. “I also want to focus more on sustainability, especially gardening. I want to garden a lot more in the future.”

Lopez said she held a similar vision board event at Sacramento City College earlier in the year and was glad to bring it to Cosumnes River College.

“I’m hoping students benefit from this and are not only able to make a vision board, but connect with other students,” Lopez said.