Baseball team extends win streak after weekend series

Idalys Aguirre
Sophomore outfielder Jack Moore faces West Valley College pitcher on Feb 23. The Hawks went on to defeat the Vikings 14-12.

The men’s baseball team continued their win streak after defeating the West Valley College Vikings 14-12 on Friday and 10-8 on Saturday in a tight two-game series.

The Hawks improved to a 11-4 record and began their conference run on Tuesday.

“The weather has dictated a lot, but we just got fortunate enough to get the last out,” said Head Coach Don Mico. “When you get the 27th out it’s nice to get a victory.”

Mico said the team was fortunate through a four-game stretch to have good quality at bats, making sure they got a full count or a walk.

“We had guys get some key hits in certain situations,” Mico said.

Freshman pitcher Chase Christenson took the mound for the Hawks on Friday and pitched five innings with six hits, four runs and three earned runs.

Mico said the team is going to continue working on making sure they are able to score runners from third base with less than two outs, playing catch and great pitching.

“I was setting hitters up with a fastball away and then I was just pounding down with a changeup to get them off balance,” said sophomore pitcher Michael Freitas. “After that I would just trust my coaches and whatever pitch call comes I’m gonna throw it to the best of my ability.”

Freitas pitched three innings with eight hits, four runs, two strikeouts and no earned runs.

“Mike goes out there and he’s gonna give every single ounce he has to try to help us win a ballgame and he did that today,” Mico said. “He’s a big component of our team and I’m glad he’s healthy and back helping us out.”

Freitas said the transition from pitching to hitting requires a lot of time management, discipline and constant hydration. He finished with two hits, two runs and one RBI.

Freitas said he has a great group of guys to help him during games.

The Hawks ended their offensive run with 12 hits, 14 runs and 12 RBIs.

“Their strikes were aggressive and wild,” said sophomore third baseman Korey Williams. “They couldn’t locate their offspeed for strikes, so I was just sitting on fastballs.”

Williams finished with two hits, including a double, four walks and one RBI. He said the team is going to work on hitting with runners in scoring position after leaving 22 runners on base during Friday’s game.

“We had the bases loaded like six or seven times and we couldn’t get the runner in,” Williams said. “We should’ve put up like 20 runs.”

The Hawks took the final game of the series on Saturday, winning 10-8. Their offensive run was led by sophomore shortstop Griffin Harrison with two hits, including a double, one run and three RBIs.

The Hawks faced the Modesto Junior College Pirates on Tuesday at home for their first conference game of the season.

“We’re just trying to get into league and hopefully we’re healthy enough to go about it,” Mico said.