Companies hiring big for holiday season

If a holiday job is on your wish list this season, then you have a reason to smile.

The stress of not having extra spending money or employment is eliminated by the opportunity to be hired on by different companies that are looking to build their staff with extra help this holiday season.

According to a 2012 article presented by Forbes, 2,400 hiring managers, which make up 36 percent of retailers, are planning to hire extra seasonal help this year. That is up from 29 percent last year.

In addition, 39 percent of employers say they plan to keep some of their seasonal workers on staff permanently after the holidays, up from 30 percent last year.

One of the top companies that is adding to its workforce is Target, which will be the largest seasonal employer this season according to ABC News. The retail giant will hire 80,000 to 90,000 seasonal employees this year.

The other top seven companies that are hiring big this season include Wal-Mart, Kohl’s, Toys R Us, GameStop, J.C. Penney, Macy’s and Best Buy.

So if you’re looking for work, keep an eye out.

“Retailers are betting that 2012 is going to be a great holiday season,” said Craig Rowley, vice president and global practice leader for Hay Group’s retail practice, in a press release.

For students, there is a little more help to obtain jobs on and off campus with the help of the Transfer and Career Center located in the Library on campus.

The career center can help students build or revise their resumes and cover letters; as well as provide students with current on and off campus job listings for the active job seeker.

It also provides a school based search engine called LINCS that students have at their reach to look for companies that are hiring college students on and off the campus.

Two upcoming workshops during the month of Nov. and Dec., on campus, will help students find their way around job search engines and how to present themselves for a job interview.

Many employers are looking to hire on college students and are willing to work around student’s schedules.

With more education under their belt, it is actually a foot in the door that will give the college student an advantage over the average job seeker with just a high school diploma, according to a 2012 article from Headline News.

Anna Davtian, the career center advisor, gave a few tips for the student job seeker:

“Show enthusiasm and dress professionally,” said Davitian. “If they can see you are high energy and want to join the team it can be a plus.”

Make sure you go to the place of employment before you have an interview so you know the standards of how they like the employees to dress and when you attend the interview dress 10 percent above the companies dresscode, Davtian said.

“Network, approach employers directly, once you submit your application online contact the company right away to show you are eager to join their team,” said Davtian

“More and more employers are looking at temporary positions as auditions for full-time employees,” said John Challenger, CEO of Challenger, Gray & Christmas which published its annual holiday hiring outlook for job seekers, according to an article from Forbes.

Finally, some good news for struggling Americans who are looking for a little relief before the holiday season gets underway.

Holiday jobs seem to fill fast, so if you are looking for employment apply right away. Hiring won’t end until the second week of December.