Obama reelection no surprise to students

Of the Cosumnes River College students interviewed, many were “not surprised” by President Barack Obama’s re-election over Republican candidate Mitt Romney.

President Obama won the Electoral College 332 votes to Romney’s 206, as well as the popular vote by about 4.35 million votes. The race was predicted to be a close one, but the president appeared to have won by a landslide.

Sacramento County contributed to the president’s re-election with the 57 percent of the population darkened the bubble next to his name, according to the New York Times.

In a previous poll, conducted by the Connection, CRC students’ votes lay with Obama 3-1, but in a sample done the day after the election the preferences between the two candidates were fifty-fifty.

“I wasn’t surprised, I had a very strong feeling that he (Obama) was going to win,” said Lauren Mulvany, an 18-year-old English major. “Forty-seven percent of America was neglected by Romney.”

Mulvany said that Romney’s stance on abortion was a key factor as to why she voted for Obama.

“It’s not like I am for abortion, but health is totally personal and should not be brought into politics,” Mulvany said.

Two students in favor of Obama’s re-election stated hopes for a better economy and financial aid in school as the main reasons they supported the president.

“I voted for Obama,” said Nick Quiro, 21, a broadcasting major. “I’m hoping he starts bringing the economy back up, like he said he is.”

Justin Barrels, 18, a business major, said he expects more jobs, more financial aid for college students and for education to be “pushed up” in priority for the next four years.

The Romney supporting students also expressed a lack of surprise in regards to Obama’s victory.

“I was indifferent, I already knew Obama was going to win.” said Levi Brown, a 20-year-old pharmacy technician major at Asher College.

“I watched Obama fail for the past four years and triple the debt that the other presidents made,” Brown said. “I expect the worst economic downturn since the great depression.”

Samantha Whitt, a 19-year-old undecided major, appeared slightly more optimistic about the outcome of the election.

“I’m honestly not surprised people wanted to give him (Obama) one more chance,” Whitt said. “I felt like Romney had more experience politically than Obama.”

Whitt said she expects these next four years to be like the last and that the issues the country is facing will stay the same.

While some are pessimistic about the outcome of the election, others are looking forward to what the next four years will bring.

“I was stoked, so stoked,” said Quiro, over Obama’s reappointment.