Celebrity endorsements influencing the youth vote

Should celebrities endorse their political preferences out to the public?

Celebrities are idolized and admired by millions, both young and old. The youth of America is our future America. And what does future America think about the presidential election?

Jay-Z and Beyoncé have gone public and announced their support for President Barack Obama by throwing a $40 thousand a ticket fundraiser for Obama on Sept. 18, 2012. The fundraiser was held at Jay Z’s exclusive 40/40 Club in New York City and it raised approximately $4 million for the president.

This shows his overwhelming support for the president.

Madonna was quoted during her tour in Washington D.C. on Sept. 24 2012 saying, “Y’all better fu****g vote for Obama, okay? For better or for worse, all right? We have a Black Muslim in the White House. Now that is some sh*t.”

Again we see no real substantial evidence as to why young people should vote for Obama, except for the beautiful, famous Madonna told us to.

Romney also has celebrity endorsers.

Nicki Minaj shocked many people when she gave her endorsement in a remix of Lil Wayne’s song called ‘Mercy’ and rapped, “I’m a Republican voting for Mitt Romney, you lazy bi****s is fu****g up the economy.”

Nicki Minaj gives no real substance as to why except for belief that Romney will help save the economy from the “lazy” people.

Actor and movie producer, Clint Eastwood spoke at the Republican National Convention in favor of Romney.

Young voters are easily influenced. Most of us have not been taught to think deeply as to why something works or not. We’ve been given a math equation and told this is how to solve not why it is solved that way. We’ve been given assignment after assignment from our schools, guardians, and jobs and been told to not ask why just do it.

These celebrity endorsements are encouraging our young voters to do the same.  They use their fame and fortune to influence people in ways they shouldn’t.

I am not okay with them using their influence to brainwash the youth of America with propaganda.

Celebrities have a responsibility as people who are admired and mimicked to make decisions that do not influence others and encourage people to think for themselves.

At the very least if they are going to endorse someone give reasons why. Talk about the economy, jobs, foreign policy, the war, what that person will do to make our country better, what policies will he put into place, etc. They are in a position to help young people and instead they tell them what to do through their fame.

I understand that they are still people and their First Amendment right allows them to express their opinions. But when you are in a position of extreme influence, you can keep your opinions to yourself.  That’s why teachers are not allowed to talk about propositions and presidents while young people are in school, because they are easily influenced and teachers are supposed to be encouraging young people to think for themselves and form their own thoughts on such things.

I don’t care whom you are going to vote for; everyone has his or her own preferences and reasons. I just care that you are informed on both sides before you take you stand at the voting stations, casting a vote that affects everyone in the United States.

You are voting for America, for your family and for your future. Your voice is important, make sure you are informed and ready to vote with all the facts in hand. Don’t jump on the celebrity endorsement bandwagon. Be you, make your own decisions. It doesn’t matter WHOM you support but WHY you support them and WHAT they are going to do for future America. Don’t let celebrities, who are mostly and only invested in them, make your decisions for you.