Students find adding fitness and health to their schedules to be difficult

As a college student, one is constantly on the go. Some are full time students, others work and have active social lives.

Because of this thoughts of fitness are often furthest from the mind.

With a full plate, how many college students are willing to schedule time to work out at the gym or even at home?

Unlike high school, where there is a two-year requirement for physical education, there is only a one semester physical fitness course requirement expected of college students.

Americans are heavier than ever before and it is estimated that by 2030, more than half the people in the vast majority of the states will be obese, according to an 2012 article from Fox News Latino.

“I have P.E. kickboxing a couple days a week but I still have the eating habits of a typical college student,” said Kat Maze, a 29-year-old business major. “It’s hard to stop the eating habits that I have because I work at a restaurant.”

Depending on one’s environment, there can often be unhealthy food around or close by. Junk food can appear to be the quickest and cheapest way to eat as a student, who is often on a tight budget.

Though Kristy Schroeder, a fitness instructor at Cosumnes River College, describes other options.

“Pack healthy lunches so you won’t stop at any snack bar and spend money that you don’t have,” Schroeder said.

Schroeder also recommended taking a fitness class because then students are held accountable to maintain a certain goal.

A lecture presented by professor Andrea Salmia, in her biology class, explained the biggest benefit of exercise. When you exercise, endorphins are released into the body. Endorphins are chemicals that put you in a better mood and provide you with the energy boost that your body needs to perform better.

For some students, school can actually be a motivation to exercise and stray away from eating unnecessary junk. The junk food that is commonly consumed while seated on the sofa to watch that favorite television show.

“Being at home, not doing anything, I would eat all the time,” said Tammie Brown, a 44-year-old culinary arts major. “Now that I’m in school it keeps me busy and doesn’t make me want to indulge as much.”

With many students becoming independent for the first time, not having the guidance of their parents, some may become overwhelmed with the hectic schedules of school and work. All in which can make it hard to maintain proper health and fitness.

More than 28 percent of freshmen students have trouble balancing wellness and fitness with their busy schedules, according to a 2011 study presented by ScienceDaily website.

According to Solstice Publications, having exceptional health can help you excel during your time as a student and, more importantly, practicing good dietary habits early on can impact the way you eat for life.

“If you couldn’t take a fitness course, schedule in your daily planner some time to exercise,” Schroeder said. “Proper health and fitness is very important to a college student’s success.”