As a new year looms resolutions new and old arise

Every year, when that ball drops at exactly midnight in New York and the old year folds into a new or sometime during the first month or two of the year, many people make those one or few goals called “New Year’s Resolutions.”In fact it is reported 45 percent of Americans make new years resolutions, according to University of Scranton’s Journal of Clinical Psychology. Though only eight percent actually achieve their aspirations, 39 percent of people people in their twenties are likely to achieve their goals.

In a series of interviews, four out of six people accomplished at least one of their resolutions for 2012.

Two students wanted to put a more focused effort in school, which follows the statistic that 47 percent of people make self improvement or educational related resolutions, according to University of Scranton’s Journal of Clinical Psychology.

“I wanted to go straight into school out of highschool, and I did, no breaks” said Kylie McConviloe, 18, who is working on her general education. She also intended to spend more time with her family, which she accomplished.

For 2013 McConviloe hopes to finish up school at Cosumnes River College and move to San Diego so she can attend University of California San Diego.Kenneth Rosette, 19, a construction and criminal justice double-major, said he made a lot of resolutions this year including going to church more, which he accomplished. Rosette also wanted to put more time and effort into school than his social life, which he is “working on” in these last few weeks of school.  He does not have any current goal ideas for 2013.

One student set the common weight loss goal for the year.

Jessica McKillican, 19, pursuing her bachelor of fine arts in musical theatre at the American Musical and Dramatic Academy set out 2011 to shed a few pounds.

“Of course most people’s resolutions are to lose weight and since January 1, 2011 I’ve gone down 3 sizes in pants and lost 15 inches all over. I’m feeling great,” McKillican said.

A student who is currently balancing work and school set a goal to change her mindset.

“Be happier, and if I am being honest to party more, I like partying,” said Anissa Williams, 19, a sonography major. “It took me a while, but it happened.”

For this upcoming year, she said she would like to eat healthier and exercise more.

“People who explicitly make resolutions are 10 times more likely to attain their goals than people who don’t explicitly make resolutions,” according to University of Scranton’s Journal of Clinical Psychology.